Pages

Thursday, March 31, 2016

Shadows and Light

Shadows can be playful things.  Did you ever use a bright light to make animal shadows on the wall?  It might have been from a projector in school or at home, though kids now won’t ever know that joy.  I doubt their iPhones or laptops put out that much light.  The interesting thing about those shadows we made is that the further you are from the light source and the closer you are to the wall, the darker the shadow appears. 

I find it interesting that the same can be said of life and death.  In our youth, death casts only a dim shadow because the end of life is so far away.  As we age, the awareness of death does cause the shadow to darken with each passing year.  It is only when we must face death, either our own or that of someone we love, that the shadow is dark and deeply defined. 

When I say the words, “shadow of death”, my mind turns immediately to what is often referred to as the “Shepherd’s Psalm” – Psalm 23:

23 The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.
He makes me to lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside the still waters.
He restores my soul; He leads me in the paths of righteousness for His name’s sake.
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil;
For You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.
You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; You anoint my head with oil; My cup runs over.
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life;
And I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.   (NKJV)

There is great comfort in these words for each of us, but especially when we think about what may seem our natural fear of death.  The psalmist promises that death (a result of evil and sin) shouldn’t bring fear for us because God Himself is right there, walking us through it.  I believe that Jesus was thinking about these very words as He hung on the cross.  He was, in that moment, hanging in the presence of His enemies while God was readying the banquet to celebrate His return.  As blood trickled down his face from the wounds on His head, He could imagine the warm oil of God’s love anointing Him as King forever.  This passage we call the Shepherd’s Psalm perhaps should be called the “GOOD Shepherd’s Psalm”.

Perhaps we could share some final thoughts about shadows?  Jesus said, “I am the Light of the world. He who follows Me shall not walk in the shadows, but have the light of life” (John 8:12).  Funny thing about light – while it can create shadows, it also causes them to flee.  During those times when we fear the shadow of death the most, more light makes a difference.  The other thing about shadows?  They’re not real!  There is really nothing there when we look closely.  That shadow is simply the absence of the light we seek.  I'm pretty sure after passing from this life into the presence of Jesus there won't be any shadows to worry about.

Some days we may all feel a bit overwhelmed and fearful regarding the end of life, but on those days remember that light and shadow can’t occupy the same space at the same time.  Excuse me while I go turn on another lamp….

Wishing you brightness in your days ahead,

Jacob

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment or ask questions. In keeping with the tone of the page, please refrain from incivility or foul language.