Pages

Thursday, November 17, 2016

What Do You Mean, Turn the Other Cheek?!

Can we all agree that some things the Bible tells us to do are difficult at times, even for the most pious among us?  But when Jesus speaks, those red-letter-emphasized instructions direct from the Savior’s mouth seem to demand even more careful obedience.  So why is it that we all seem to choke on that most-famous command to “turn the other cheek”?  Here’s the verse in context:

You have heard that it was said, An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.  But I tell you, don’t resist an evildoer. On the contrary, if anyone slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other to him also As for the one who wants to sue you and take away your shirt, let him have your coat as well.  (Matthew 5:38-40)

Jesus obviously understands that when someone hurts you, you want to obtain some sort of revenge.  Yet His advice – no, His COMMAND – is that we respond to the ultimate insult by turning the other cheek.  Is that where the saying “adding insult to injury” came from?  It seems from the text that Jesus’ admonition covers not only our personal pride, but our material possessions, as well.  Does Jesus expect us to be doormats for the bullies of the world?  To just take whatever the “meanies” in our lives want to dish out and never respond in anger or vengeance?  The short answer is, “Yes”.  But here’s the rest of the story from a plea by King David 3,000 years ago:

Deliver me from my enemies, O my God; Defend me from those who rise up against me.  Deliver me from the workers of iniquity…The mighty gather against me, Not for my transgression nor for my sin, O Lord.  They run and prepare themselves through no fault of mineI will wait for You, O You his Strength; For God is my defense.  My God of mercy shall come to meet me; God shall let me see my desire on my enemies…But I will sing of Your power; Yes, I will sing aloud of Your mercy in the morning; For You have been my defense and refuge in the day of my trouble.  (Psalm 59)

I find it interesting that this same David stood against the giant, Goliath, and left him in a heap on the battlefield.  Goliath insulted God and David put him down.  THAT’S our kind of hero, right?  But Jesus tells us that if someone insults US, GOD will take care of it.  You see, David knew it was God that brought the victory over Goliath, not his skill with a sling and a stone.  David was simply fighting for God’s reputation; God directed the rock!  In the Psalm above, David is singing the same tune – God you protect me and I’ll sing your praises. 

Jesus wasn’t trying to convince us all to live like Timex watches that “take a licking and keep on ticking!”  God doesn’t expect that His children will be abused by the bad folks in the world.  He just wants to be the one to settle the account for us!  God doesn’t want us to have to figure out justice and to dole out mercy.  Only God is a fit judge.  What He asks from us is to trust HIM.  That’s what it’s always about in this life. 

So, the next time someone slaps you on your cheek or wants to bilk you out of your shirt, literally or figuratively, repeat the refrain of Psalm 59: “Deliver me…Defend me…and I will sing of Your power; yes, I will sing of Your mercy.”  You do your job and let God do His.

Jacob


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment or ask questions. In keeping with the tone of the page, please refrain from incivility or foul language.