Pages

Sunday, July 9, 2017

I Never Promised You a Rose Garden…

The first time I heard the words, I was stirred deep in my spirit.  Though Bill Gaither borrowed the title to A Few Good Men from the US Marines, the recruiting requirements it describes come straight from the Scriptures:

God doesn't need an Orator who knows what just to say;
He doesn't need authorities to reason Him away;
He doesn't need an army to guarantee a win;
He just needs a Few Good Men.

Men full of Compassion, who Laugh and Love and Cry -
Men who'll face Eternity and aren't afraid to die -
Men who'll fight for Freedom and Honor once again -
He just needs a Few Good Men.

Being called to serve our Lord, Jesus Christ, does require goodness, courage, and compassion.  We must love our Savior and His Church more than we love life itself.  Luke tells us about the priorities of the kingdom in this exchange:

As they were walking along the road, a man said to him, “I will follow you wherever you go.”  Jesus replied, “Foxes have dens and birds have nests, but the Son of Man has no place to lay his head.”  He said to another man, “Follow me.”  But he replied, “Lord, first let me go and bury my father.”  Jesus said to him, “Let the dead bury their own dead, but you go and proclaim the kingdom of God.”  Still another said, “I will follow you, Lord; but first let me go back and say goodbye to my family.”  Jesus replied, “No one who puts a hand to the plow and looks back is fit for service in the kingdom of God.”   Luke 9:57-62

Does that seem harsh to you?  Did anyone promise you that walking with Jesus would be easy?  Each of the three men in the story WANTED to follow Jesus, they just didn’t have what it takes.  They wanted to live life on their terms, not God’s.  They desired comfort and convenience rather than risk and sacrifice.  Does that sound familiar?  Believers in Jesus’ day faced difficulties and even death – challenges that are beyond our imagination and likely beyond our commitment level.  But Jesus told his disciples (and us) what to expect:

If anyone comes to me and does not hate father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters—yes, even their own life—such a person cannot be my disciple.  And whoever does not carry their cross and follow me cannot be my disciple…In the same way, those of you who do not give up everything you have cannot be my disciples. Luke 14:26-27,33

What do you think Jesus meant when He spoke about “carrying your cross”?  What about “hating your family and even your own life”?  He wants to know if YOU love Him more than your family.  He wants to know if you love the Church more than the world.  He wants to know if you love the Kingdom more than you love your wealth.  He wants to know if you love your neighbor more than yourself.  Why do those questions matter?  They don’t – unless you want to be His disciple.

I’ve never been a Marine, and I’m sure bootcamp is no picnic.  But I’m confident that those who make it through are proud to wear the uniform.  Believers should feel the same commitment and dedication when they are set apart by the power of the Holy Spirit to serve the ultimate King.  While you might think you were chosen by God because you’re “good” or “worthy”, guess again!  You were chosen because the Father loves you and wants you to be His.  But you were also chosen because He knows you are strong and courageous.  Now go prove Him right!


Jacob

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment or ask questions. In keeping with the tone of the page, please refrain from incivility or foul language.