Pages

Sunday, January 7, 2018

I Don’t Plan to Come Back

When you go to a wedding, it’s normal to identify with the couple getting married.  You may grip the hand next to you a little tighter or even remember yourself in front of a similar assembly, pledging love to the partner of your dreams.  It’s easy to identify whether you’ve been through it or not.

But what about at a funeral?  I’ve been to a couple in the last week, and I don’t know if this happens to you or not, but I find myself oddly reflective during these solemn gatherings.  It’s hard to say I “identify” as in the example of attending a wedding, yet each of us is destined to have our bodies lie in a box while people pass by and discuss our appearance.  I don’t mean that in a disrespectful manner, it’s just that that’s what our social convention normally dictates.  At some funerals, the casket is closed, and it seems the latest trend is to just wait some period of time after a person passes and have a “Celebration of Life” service without any body being present at all. 

While it might seem hard to “identify” because none of us has died before, aren’t you at least curious about the process?  You may have read some popular book that describes aspects of the process of dying, or even that provides some glimpse of the afterlife, but if I want answers about what happens after I die, I’m going to go to the source of life itself – our Lord, Jesus Christ.  Jesus told this story about the reality of death:

There was a certain rich man who was clothed in purple and fine linen and fared sumptuously every day. 20 But there was a certain beggar named Lazarus, full of sores, who was laid at his gate, 21 desiring to be fed with the crumbs which fell from the rich man’s table. Moreover, the dogs came and licked his sores.22 So it was that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels to Abraham’s bosom. The rich man also died and was buried. 23 And being in torments in Hades, he lifted up his eyes and saw Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.  Luke 16:19-23

My goal in sharing this passage isn’t to spend lots of time on the content of the story, but only to use it as a statement of truth regarding life after this life.  We all die, but if we have a relationship with God through His Son, Jesus, we will be ushered through the door we call “death” by angels carrying us into Jesus’ presence.  If we do NOT have a relationship with God through Jesus, our experience will not be pleasant.  Based upon that truth, I DO think about my own experience when I’m at a funeral.  What will stepping through the door to eternity be like?

As often happens, I keep asking questions.  And the first one that popped in my mind today was, “I wonder how Lazarus felt when Jesus called him back from death?” (see John 11:43) This isn’t the same Lazarus as in the story about the beggar – this one was the dear friend of Jesus Himself.  Jesus wept over his passing, no doubt as He does for each of us who know and love Him.  But in this case, it was necessary for Jesus to call Lazarus back from his stint in Paradise after Lazarus had enjoyed its pleasures for four days!  I know that won’t happen to me, but I can’t imagine that the life Lazarus came back to was as good as the one he was forced to leave.  Would you want to come back here after spending four days in heaven?!  I think not.

Here’s my take-away.  When I breathe my last in this mortal body, I will open my eyes to a new reality.  One that exists just beyond my ability to see it now, but just as real.  Each tick-tock moment in this life that reminded me of the passing of time will be replaced by a never-ending day filled with never-ceasing joy.  Next time you’re at a funeral, hold the hand of your mate just a little tighter, shed a tear for your loss, and remember that you know what’s coming because you know where you’re going.  And just for the record, don’t expect me to come back here.  Unless Jesus calls for me…


Jacob

1 comment:

Please feel free to comment or ask questions. In keeping with the tone of the page, please refrain from incivility or foul language.