Pages

Sunday, April 10, 2016

Double Jeopardy

While perhaps not considered the “trial of the 20th century” (that was probably the Lindbergh baby kidnapping trial), the infamous murder trial of a well-known football player is the biggest trial of my lifetime.  Though sincere folks disagree about the verdict in that trial, one truth can be stated unequivocally:  The defendant was judged to be “not guilty” and can never be tried for the same crime again.  It wouldn’t matter if that guy stood on the street corner holding a knife in his bloody-gloved hand and shouting, “I did it!”, because he has already been justified by the law – judged to be without guilt concerning that crime.  In our justice system, “double jeopardy” is the inability to be tried again for an offense for which you’ve been judged to be innocent. 

While we might not like it that someone can get away with murder, or some other crime, the Bible addresses the same issue when it pertains to your sin.  In Romans 3, the apostle Paul writes these words about YOU:

20 For no one will be justified in His sight by the works of the law…
21 But now, apart from the law…God’s righteousness has been revealed…22that is, God’s righteousness through faith in Jesus Christ, to all who believe… 23 For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God. 24 They are justified freely by His grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus. 

If you don’t speak “Bible” very well yet, let me translate the major points for you:
  1. God’s rule of law sets a perfect standard for us to live by.
  2. Everyone – that’s the “all” in verse 23 – breaks the law.
  3. Since you have broken the law, you are guilty and forever condemned. 
  4. Except for those who have been justified by grace through faith in Jesus.

 Now why is that?  Either we’re guilty or not!  I’m either a sinner or I’m not!  Well, I AM guilty, and I AM a sinner, but because Jesus died on the cross for my sins, and because I have received His loving sacrifice by believing He did it for me, I am judged by God to be innocent.  Not guilty.  No punishment.  “You do the crime; you do the time” – except in the case of those who receive grace through faith in Jesus.

Here’s what is so great about Double Jeopardy: I can’t be punished for my sin.  Any of it.  Because when Jesus died for me, He took MY punishment for every wrong thing I’ve ever done so I would be judged to be innocent before a holy, righteous God.  God will never ask me about my sins, though they are myriad and heinous, because Jesus said, “Put that on my account.”  HE justified ME.

So before you get too excited about being able to do anything you want and getting away with it, you should probably check your spirit to make sure you have received the justification of Christ, otherwise you WILL still answer for your sin.  Because once we do belong to Christ and are protected by His love and sacrifice, the Bible says we will obey His commandments.  That’s what happens to those who belong to Jesus – they no longer get excited about getting away with sin.  In fact, they see the ugliness of sin and they grow to the point that they don’t want any part of it.  The apostle John wrote this:

These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, that you may know that you have eternal life.”  1 John 5:13 

When you belong to Christ, your sentence is “life in heaven”.  What an amazing God we serve!  He sees our sin; pays a price we could never pay; and then promises never to bring it up again.  You know what’s better than Double Jeopardy?  Amazing Grace.


Jacob

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment or ask questions. In keeping with the tone of the page, please refrain from incivility or foul language.