Pages

Thursday, September 1, 2016

All Work and No Play?

Growing up I was blessed to have wonderful friends, as were most of us.  Not long ago, my childhood best friend posted a picture on Facebook of his father taken decades ago.  I was immediately transported back to his living room and filled with the memories of days too quickly gone.  Those days were simplistic and carefree, filled with fun and laughter.  But not all the days were perfect.  You see, the kind, loving father in the picture died in his 30’s just a few years after the picture was taken.  Life is certainly filled with ups and downs, and all those memories remain to shape us.

Each of us lives our lives according to a fashion that is as unique as our fingerprints.  We might be wonderfully carefree; maybe a bit reckless; or perhaps stoically boring.  That last one is more like me than the other two.  You know the old adage, “All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy”?  I make Jack look exciting!     

So when I read passages like this one spoken by Jesus, I have to consider if I’m on the right track:

“…I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly.”  John 10:10

Oh, I get the “life” part.  Jesus is speaking about life in Him – our spiritual life – both in this present world and in the eternal existence to come.  It would seem we are intended to enjoy THIS life completely, in part at least by knowing the fullness of our lives to come once this temporal period is over.  But I surmise it is His intention that we also get the most out of every day in this TEMPORAL life, too.  I think that’s what the “more abundantly” is about.  After all, how could life in the new heaven and new earth (see Revelation 21:1) in the presence of God Himself get any better?!  So “more abundantly” can’t be in reference to that.

Is it just possible that by knowing God personally now, by being sure of our futures, and believing that His providence and provision reign over our lives until we join Him in eternity, that we can live life differently than we have been?  What if we throw worry to the winds and live a more carefree existence?  What if the wisdom that comes from knowing Christ and His Word allows us to avoid the pitfalls about which we waste hours worrying?  Is your life filled with joy?  What about happiness (you DO know that’s different, right)?  I’m betting Jesus meant all of that when He said He wanted us to have a life that overflows.  And knowing Jesus, I’m thinking he’d want us to have fun, too.

Those days when we were lucky enough to have fathers and mothers who cared for our every need, who protected us, and who made sure we were pointed in the right direction allowed us to be carefree and fun and even a bit crazy!  Now I just need to remember that I still have a Father like that.  I need to loosen up quite a bit if I’m going to fulfill the mission Jesus has for me in life.  I WANT to live “more abundantly”.  And I want to let Jack back on the “dull boy” throne.  He can have it.  I’m going to go have some fun!  Want to join me?


Jacob

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment or ask questions. In keeping with the tone of the page, please refrain from incivility or foul language.