Pages

Thursday, September 29, 2016

How Could I Say “NO”?

Have you ever been accused of being a negative person?  Do you sometimes feel like you need to start saying “YES” to things instead of always responding with a quick, “NO”?  That’s me much of the time, and certainly for any request that might require me to be socially interactive.  But the huge exception to my “NO” mentality comes in response to requests to do “good” things for people.  Many of you are just like me!  Someone needs a favor and you just can’t deny them or the church needs someone to work in the nursery and you just can’t say “No”.  Instead, you say, “Yes”, even when your plate is full and you can’t afford the time!  Often when you feel ill-equipped to meet the need, you still respond with, “I’d love to help.”  It’s a good thing those you help can’t read your actual thoughts at that moment, isn’t it??

If you’ve read many of my posts, you understand that at this point, I’m probably going to invoke some story from Jesus’ life that will make you feel worse for WANTING to say “NO”, even if you can’t force yourself to do it.  Well, hold on to your hat, because Jesus taught us alright – but He taught us to say “NO” when necessary:

 At evening, when the sun had set, they brought to Him all who were sick and those who were demon-possessed. 33 And the whole city was gathered together at the door34 Then He healed many who were sick with various diseases, and cast out many demons….  35 Now in the morning, having risen a long while before daylight, He went out and departed to a solitary place; and there He prayed. 36 And Simon and those who were with Him searched for Him. 37 When they found Him, they said to Him, “Everyone is looking for You.”  38 But He said to them, “Let us go into the next towns, that I may preach there also, because for this purpose I have come forth.”     (Mark 1:32-38)

“Jesus, everyone is lined up again for You to take care of them!  C’mon, let’s go!”  To which Jesus responds, “NO.”  My words, not His, but you get the idea from what He said to the disciples.  People who had serious needs that could ONLY be met by Jesus, yet He walked away from them.  How could He do that?  Because He knew these truths:
A.    The purpose for which He came was bigger than just healing people – He came to save them!
B.    There will ALWAYS be needs that exist in the lives of others in this life.  It’s not possible to solve all the problems created by sin and neglect.
C.    He couldn’t do everything for everyone and still accomplish that for which He was born.

So what can I apply to myself from Jesus’ example? 
1.    I, too, have a spiritual purpose for which I was created and I need figure out what that is (if I don’t know) so I can be effective in living out God’s plan for me.
2.    No matter how much I do, I can’t fix everything that’s wrong with the people in my life or my church or my community.  Jesus couldn’t, so where do I get off thinking I can?
3.    Everything I say “YES” to that isn’t meant for me distracts me from doing something I AM supposed to do AND it keeps the person who would have done it if I hadn’t from getting to meet the need.

So here it comes: “Who will help if you don’t?”  Uh…whoever God has put in your life for that purpose?  I know it’s not me, so I have to say, “NO”.  How dare me!


Jacob

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment or ask questions. In keeping with the tone of the page, please refrain from incivility or foul language.